On May 19, 2012, ten men from CBC stood before their families to take the Courageous Resolution pledge and to sign the certificate.
This culminated a four-week study based upon the Christian movie, Courageous:Honor Begins at Home. Each participant completed the studies that meaningfully challenged them to be better dads and husbands. This fits perfectly within CBC’s emphasis on Growing Healthy Families.
Here is the actual Courageous Resolution signed by each man:
- I DO solemnly resolve before God to take full responsibility for myself, my wife, and my children.
- I WILL love them, protect them, serve them, and teach them the Word of God as the spiritual leader of my home.
- I WILL be faithful to my wife, to love and honor her, and be willing to lay down my life for her as Jesus Christ did for me.
- I WILL bless my children and teach them to love God with all of their hearts, all of their minds, and all of their strength.
- I WILL train them to honor authority and live responsibly.
- I WILL confront evil, pursue justice, and love mercy.
- I WILL pray for others and treat them with kindness, respect, and compassion.
- I WILL work diligently to provide for the needs of my family.
- I WILL forgive those who have wronged me and reconcile with those I have wronged.
- I WILL learn from my mistakes, repent of my sins, and walk with integrity as a man answerable to God.
- I WILL seek to honor God, be faithful to His church, obey His Word, and do His will.
- I WILL courageously work with the strength God provides to fulfill this resolution for the rest of my life and for His glory. As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. —Joshua 24:15
Are you a parent? Would you be willing to agree to such a resolution and sign this covenant in front of your family and friends? How does this resolution make you feel?
Tom Jenkins, leader of the Men’s Ministry team, coordinated the Courageous study and emceed the celebration ceremony held in the worship center.
Near the end of the event, just before the men signed their own certificates, Pastor Dave Palmer surprised Tom with news that CBC officially licensed Tom as a minister of the gospel. He was presented with a certificate that acknowledges his current role in men’s ministry, plus allows him to formally conduct marriages and funerals.
Be sure to congratulate Tom next time you see him! Ask him to see his license and registration.
- The 2012 Men’s Retreat will be based on the Courageous Study. Here is how you can register for this retreat held in Nobember.
- To find out more about the movie Courageous or the group study, visit: http://www.courageousthemovie.com